Wednesday, October 26, 2011

ADDIE ON THE INSIDE By: James Howe

ADDIE ON THE INSIDE  By: James Howe
This book is written from the viewpoint of Addie who is struggling with many problems teenagers face. I like the frank discussions about diversity, homosexuality, being slow to reach puberty, being in the "popular" group while staying true to her values, dating a popular guy, and trying to maintain friendships with girls and boys she knew from childhood. As a grandmother, I find her close relationship with her grandmother heart-warming. My favorite quotation from the book is: "You never tell a star: Hey, tone it down." In this book Addie gains the self-confidence and maturity to be a star in her own way. If I had a teenager or preteen, I would like to read and discuss this book with him/her. It is truly a "coming of age" book that is well-written. $16.99 Antheneum  Reviewed by: Julie Hoch.

No comments: